ONLINE LEARNING AND TEACHING RESOURCES
- Academic Writing in English (AWE) This site is being produced by the AWE (Academic Writing in English) Project, carried out with funding from the Finnish Virtual University. It contains online handouts and exercises on three main topic areas: cohesion, punctuation and style. Although the site already contains a wide range of resources, work is still in progress.
- Active Learning Online Website Contains a variety of activities developed specifically for writing classes and writing-intensive classes offered online or in multiple modes.
- Bogazici University Online Writing Lab (BUOWL) BUOWL is an online service designed to provide online resources for students and teachers of writing at the School of Foreign Languages. You may think of “BUOWL for teachers” as a resource book and a handbook for teachers. “BUOWL for students” can be seen as a resource and practice book students can consult when they need information on writing when they are working on their own. BUOWL is not a replacement for classes or teachers, but rather a supplement to class work.
- Noordster This website from the University of Groningen, the Netherlands, contains handouts for students and information for teachers in higher education, about academic writing and other communication skills. The webpage is in Dutch.
- Develop your study skills writing with York University: https://www.york.ac.uk/students/studying/develop-your-skills/study-skills/writing/
- Purdue Online Writing Lab The OWL at Purdue offers online handouts covering writing, research, grammar, and MLA and APA style.
- Get more in tune with the environmental sciences from this journal: https://www.rgu.ac.uk/link/environmental-science-and-policy
- Find out about the most cited journals from Beds.ac.uk: http://0-www.mdpi.com.brum.beds.ac.uk/journal/ijerph/most_cited
- Self Access Page for Academic Writing Online self access page from the Central European University to encourage and facilitate autonomous learning. This student website offers useful resource material to teachers.
- Thompson Rivers University Inventive website on writing in the disciplines.
- WAC Clearinghouse This is a site that focuses on writing in all disciplines, providing sample assignments, links to other sites, and publications on academic writing and the teaching of writing (including free PDF versions of books now out of print).
- WDHE-listserv (Writing Development in Higher Education – a UK listserv with UK conference calls and discussions)
- Wiki International Writing Studies A wiki site for making accessible information on academic writing teaching and research in Europe, South and Central America, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Africa, Mexico and Canada, with categories for posting scholarly conferences, publications, journals, document repositories, and collaborative activities around the world. Both the postings and the actual events or documents can be in any language.
- Writing at the University of Toronto A wiki site for making accessible information on academic writing teaching and research in Europe, South and Central America, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Africa, Mexico and Canada, with categories for posting scholarly conferences, publications, journals, document repositories, and collaborative activities around the world. Both the postings and the actual events or documents can be in any language.
- Writing Software A comprehensive list of writing software can be found here.
- The Canadian Association of Teachers of Technical Writing (CATTW) A name change for CATTW is imminent to reflect the focus on a lot more than technical writing. This association publishes a journal as well as a newsletter and has an annual research-oriented conference.
- Canadian Society for the Study of Rhetoric (CSSR) CSSR’s purpose is to promote the study of the theory and practice of rhetoric in all periods and languages, and its relationships with other fields of enquiry and realms of practice. This society organises an annual conference.
- European Writing Centers Association
- Forum Schreiben This is the website of the Swiss EATAW section.
- Inkshed This website of the Canadian Association for the Study of Language and Learning (CASLL), commonly known as Inkshed, has an excellent online newsletter and has published over 20 books. Its listserv has some lively online discussions, and the organization puts on a friendly informal conference every year, mainly teaching-oriented.
- IWCA (International Writing Centers Association – a US Organization)
- Prowitec Association Prowitec is a German speaking association of researchers and teachers in academic writing and writing in the workplace. It organizes biannual conferences and edits two book series. On this website you’ll find some of the books and articles online, all information concerning this year’s conference and some useful links to writing organizations and writing centres.
- SIG Writing’ website – a Special Interest Group of EARLI
WRITING CENTERS AND INSTITUTIONS
- Academic Writing Website in English based on the activities and research of the Academic Writing Centre at Copenhagen University, Cph, Denmark. The website includes thorough information about different writing traditions and academic study skills.
- The Writing Center at the Hellenic American University Information about a technologically enhanced Writing Center in Greece, with innovative design; its online and on site services are addressed not only to the University students but also to the general public.
- Journal of Second Language Writing The Journal publishes articles submitted from around the world with a focus on theoretically grounded reports of research and discussions of central issues in second and foreign language writing and writing instruction.
- Get some more information from this St Andrews journal here: http://resourcelists.st-andrews.ac.uk/link?url=http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/10010742
- Journal Of Writing Research The Journal of Writing Research is an international peer reviewed journal that publishes high quality theoretical, empirical, and review papers covering the broad spectrum of writing research. The journal is inherently cross-disciplinary, publishing original research in the different domains of writing research.
- PAW in a Global Context This webpage describes the longitudinal research project, conducted by Theresa Lillis and Mary Jane Curry, on Professional Academic Writing In a Global Context.
- Zeitschrift Schreiben This is the site of the first non-American online writing journal. Though the website is in German, almost all publications are in English. Everyone is invited to submit papers which will be reviewed thoroughly. Most likely the webpage will soon become bilingual.
If you have suggestions for this page, please contact the web secretary.
The Rubik’s Cube makes a perfect gift for any occasion. Learn how to solve the cube on Ruwix.